Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Where were you when ...?

Where were you when you heard Osama bin Laden was dead?

I was dancing a jig in front of my TV. And couldn't help but imagine the short lecture Allah was delivering to Osama standing in judgment before the throne:

"No, dude! You got it all wrong! You been out there killing people.
"I said save your brother, not kill your brother!
"So off with you. Go to hell.
"No, no virgins for you.
"What were you thinking?"

And is it right to dance on the grave of your dead enemy?
Willy Yeats, in his poem "Tom O'Roughley," said this:

"And if my dearest friend were dead
"I'd dance a measure on his grave."

So what's good for a friend, must not be too bad for an enemy. Yeats also wrote:

"An aimless joy is a pure joy
Or so did Tom O'Roughley say
...
'And wisdom is a butterfly
And not a gloomy bird of prey."

Think about that as you dance your jig of joy.
The world is a better place today.

No comments:

Post a Comment